But I’m Hip!!
Paper Boarding Pass or Digital? This is a decision fraught with implication! Let’s fly into it!
- Paper means you are insecure and old fashioned
- Paper means you check your pocket 50 times before the flight
- Paper feels secure
- Paper gets you on the plane if your phone dies
- Digital confers a hipness, you are master of technology
- Digital can’t be damaged
- Digital is always with you because your phone is an extension of your nervous system!
- Digital implies you can navgate apps, check in and pay for your ticket on line!
- Yes, digital says your hip!
Recently I was at the airport with my paper ticket. My daughter was say, “I checked us in, I have them on my phone! ” But she has two kids in tow, juggling carry on luggage, juice box and stuffed toys. I had no idea how much battery life her phone had and I wanted my paper ticket!
A sweet gray haired man next to me was checking in on his phone. He was wearing a seniorish plaid shirt and jeans up around his waist. He was giggling at our debate. He glanced over and said with some cheek says to me , “Checking in with your phone denies aging! You’re hip!”
I agree, staying contemporary means not clinging to old fashioned modes of transaction. However, now in the age of AI and our phones listening constantly, paper seems like a good thing in some cases. Except there is the matter of cutting down the trees!
We live in a world of trade offs and seemingly endless ways to violate the earth. My advice to deter aging is keep moving, keep learning, be willing to change and keep a sense of humor! And then maybe it’s ok to have a paper ticket!